Hi Guys! Come on in and see what I’m doing today! I’m refinishing an antique dresser – something I’ve never done before.

Above is a pic of the sad dresser I’ve held on to for 30+ years because #1 I love it; #2 it’s an antique; #3 it’s just a beautiful piece of furniture (after I fix it up a little . . . okay . . . more than a little . . .). I have all the pieces – they just need some reassembly.

Hang on, wait till you see how it was transformed . . .
The first step was to fill the gouges, cracks and holes. I used the wood filler above, and then sanded the entire piece to rough it up – it’s supposed to give the primer something to cling to.

After sanding, I wiped down everything with a damp cloth to get rid of the dust.
Then I rolled on a coat of primer over the entire surface, top, back, front, and sides. FYI, I used a roller because I didn’t want brush marks.

As you can see, I did this outside where there was plenty of ventilation. Luckily, there was very little wind that day. Also, I put a tarp on the driveway – just in case I drip – to be fair, I usually do . . .
Here’s the dresser fully primed.

Learn from my mistakes, make sure you prime/paint the inside section that the drawer sits on – I had to touch that up because when I put the drawers in, I could see where I didn’t paint – uggggghhhhhh!!!!
The dresser is completely painted. I bought two gray night stands from Overstock.com that I wanted to match. I took a leg from the night stand to Sherwin Williams and they matched the paint. How awesome (and easy) is that????

You may already know this, but primer makes all the difference – it goes on like a dream, gives the paint something to grip to, and makes the paint look smooth and even (I used two coats, but probably didn’t need to).
Here’s the finished dresser. It’s a yellow room and is literally glowing in this pic, lol.

I got the knobs from Hobby Lobby (they were 50% off), attached the mirror, and added the scarf , which was crocheted by my mom. My husband removed the casters (which were wooden, totally awesome, btw) and replaced them with felt pads.

I would definitely do a project like this again. It took two days to complete because I waited a day between coats of paint, giving it plenty of time to dry in between.

Hey, if you’d like to see some of my other projects, check out my Instagram and Pinterest board, and I would LOVE it if you would follow me.

As always, I’m Livin’ the Moments . . .

Leave a Reply